Dr. Lukasz Gruszczynski
Course taught: International and Regional Trade Arrangements
Lukasz Gruszczynski is an associate professor of international law at the Institute of Law Studies of the Polish Academy of Sciences (Poland) and External Research Fellow at the HAS Centre for Social Sciences Institute for Legal Studies (Hungary). He is also a guest lecturer of international trade law and European law at the Kozminski University, Warsaw University and American University of Central Asia. Prof. Gruszczynski graduated from Jagiellonian University in Cracow (M.A.) and the Central European University in Budapest (LL.M.). In 2008 he earned his Ph.D. from the European University Institute in Florence. In the past, prof. Gruszczynski was also a visiting researcher at the University of Michigan Law School, Lauterpacht Centre for International Law (Cambridge University), Pázmány Péter Catholic University, National University of Public Service (Hungary) as well as an intern at the Legal Affairs Division of the World Trade Organization. Prof. Gruszczynski is a Managing Co-Editor of the Polish Yearbook of International Law and a board member of the European Journal of Risk Regulation.
His current research focuses on international trade law (in particular WTO law), regional economic integration and regulation of tobacco products.
• The Regulation of E-cigarettes: International, European and National Challenges (as an editor), Edward Elgar Publishing, Cheltenham: 2019 (forthcoming)
• The EU regime for e-cigarettes: A rationale compromise or regulatory failure?, 4(2) Journal of Health Inequalities 62 (2018)
• Pigs, African swine fever and the principle of regionalization: Comments on the Appellate Body report in the Russia – Pigs dispute (co-authored with A. Arcuri), 9(1) European Journal of Risk Regulation 137 (2018)
• Deference in International Courts and Tribunals: Standard of Review and Margin of Appreciation, Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2014 (with W. Werner as editors)
• Standards of Review in International Investment Law and Arbitration: Multilevel Governance and the Commonwealth (co-authored with V. Vadi), 16(3) Journal of International Economic Law (2013)
• Regulating Health and Environmental Risks under WTO Law. A Critical Analysis of the SPS Agreement, Oxford University Press, Oxford: 2010