Position: 3 Junior Research Fellows
Organization: Public Foundation “OSCE Academy in Bishkek”
Location: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic, 1 A Botanichesky pereulok
Job Status: 10 months starting in 1 September 2022
The OSCE Academy invites applications for 3 10-month Junior Research Fellowship positions. The aim of the three fellowships is to boost the OSCE Academy’s research capacity and research output on China affairs in Central Asia.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, created in 2002 as a result of the partnership between the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes values and principles of the OSCE through research, post-graduate education, professional trainings, and intellectual exchange.
The OSCE Academy offers a research grant of $10,500 – $14,980 (gross) for the position of Junior Research Fellow, for 10 months starting on 1 September 2022 pending the availability of funding. The position will be remote, part-time, with occasional travel and optional relocation to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan. Selected Junior Research Fellows must be able to travel to Bishkek in June 2023 to deliver a presentation of fellowship outcomes for an in-person event.
The grant will be paid monthly towards timely completion of expected outcome of the fellowship program as follows:
-by end of September, completed research and writing plan of snapshot article 1;
-by end of October, completed first draft writing of snapshot article 1;
-by end of November, published snapshot article 1;
-by end of December, completed research and writing plan of snapshot article 2;
-by end of January, completed first draft writing of snapshot article 2;
-by end of February, published snapshot article 2;
-by end of March, completed research and writing plan of snapshot article 3;
-by end of April, completed first draft writing of snapshot article 3;
-by end of May, published snapshot article 3;
-by end of June, presented findings at Bishkek event.
Final contracting will be completed upon actual receipt of funding. Taxes and social fees will be deducted from each of the instalment in line with Kyrgyz legislation. According to the tax code employed foreigners (Armenian, Belarus, Kazakh, Russian, Turkiye citizens) are having tax and social fee obligations equal to those of citizens of Kyrgyzstan. An alternative form of employment is a so-called Individual Entrepreneurship (‘IP’ in its Russian acronym) with tax and social fee deductions amounting to 3% to 6%. The Academy will file for an IP certificate in case the employee states a corresponding request. This will require physical presence in Bishkek and appointments with and visits to respective state agencies responsible for issuing the IP certificate.
The Junior Research Fellows will be trained and supported by Senior Researcher at OSCE Academy, Niva Yau, to learn how to gain access to Chinese language sources, transferring specific open-sourced research skills in the field of China research. Additionally, the chosen Junior Research Fellows will work with Expert Mentor, Raffaello Pantucci, on a regular basis to refine research idea, methods, data gathering, narrative presentation, pitching to editors, self-promotion of research in the end and career development in the China research industry.
- Completed BA degree in China studies, East Asian studies, International Relations with a focus on East Asia, and others relevant areas, current BA students will be considered in exceptional cases;
-Current students pursuing a Master’s degree in relevant are welcomed to apply;
- Strong knowledge of existing research on China in Central Asia, clearly demonstrable ability to deliver original ideas on trends of China in Central Asia, committed motivation for a career in China research;
- Advanced knowledge of English is a must, elementary level Chinese language is an asset;
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills are required;
- Willingness to cooperate with colleagues at the Academy and maintain donor relation is required;
- A citizen of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan.
Interested applicants should submit their application in English including:
1) Research Proposal, in no more than 200 words, proposes three short articles of roughly 1200 words which study a China trend in Central Asia, outlining research aim, main question, methodology and preliminary data, ideas should fall in the categories of Politico-Economic and Social-Environmental;
2) Cover Letter, in no more than 200 words explain your motivation for a career in China research, experience with research,
2) CV of maximum 2 pages;
3) Two references contacts
4) Copies of diplomas, HSK certificates and other documents to support the declared candidacy
Selection of research fellows will be based on the quality of research proposals, ability to conduct unique, original research on key China trends in Central Asia, English-language skills, and motivation for a China-focused research career.
Applications without a research proposal will not be considered.
Interested candidates should apply by sending all required documents (one single file in PDF format) via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject “Vacancy of Junior Research Fellow_Your name”.
Deadline: 9 August 2022, 18:00 Bishkek time
Applications that do not meet the requirements will not be accepted for consideration!
NOTE: The Academy will not cover transport, accommodation, health insurance and expenses of family members. The Academy will, however, assist with all issues related to travelling to Bishkek and finding housing in the city.
Only successfully selected candidates will be notified of further selection procedures.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, with consideration of regional and gender balance.