The OSCE Academy in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan, invites applications from highly qualified scholars for its newly created Senior lecturer position (full-time).
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, created in 2002 between the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes the principles and values of the OSCE through education, advanced research, professional trainings and intellectual exchange. Its highly demanding MA programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” enrol a total of up to 60 young professionals per year from Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan on a competitive basis.
The Senior lecturer position will be based in Bishkek and will start on 10 January 2023. The Senior Lecturer will be initially hired for the period until 31 December 2023 with a possibility for continuation after mutual approval and the availability of funding in Winter Semester 2024. In general, the Academy is looking for committed lecturers to join its growing international team of professionals, and strives to maintain long-term working relationships. The position is full-time and no secondary occupation is permitted without expressive approval of the Academy Director.
Under the direct supervision of the Director and in co-ordination with the Head of Department of Education of the OSCE Academy in Bishkek, the Lecturer contributes to the OSCE Academy’s MA Programme, BA Programme and other activities such as research and academic exchange as member of the faculty.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Teaching and other related duties:
Teaching of minimum 12 credits of graduate level courses (preferable courses are Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics, International Development, International Financial System).
• Supervising minimum of two MA Theses
• Participating in Thesis Review Board, Thesis Defence and State Examinations
• Participating in the student admission process
• Participating in the selection of lecturers for teaching positions in the MA programmes
• Supervising and coordinating the review of MA programme related rules and regulations (in cooperation with the Head of the Department of Education)
• Participating in the further development of the MA programme related quality control mechanism and corresponding evaluation tools (in cooperation with the Head of the Department of Education)
• Advising the Head of the Department of Education in the process of designing and establishing a BA Programme in Economics
Contributing to Research and Academic Exchange at the OSCE Academy:
• Publishing one article in a peer-reviewed journal
• Publishing one article in an OSCE Academy publication series (e.g. Policy Briefs; Academic Yearbook; Special Collection; Springer OAP)
• Mentoring students, alumni, and young scholars at the Academy and advising on career development as well as assisting in research project implementation
• Conducting her/his own research and involving students and other faculty members
• Initiating and organizing faculty and student exchange programmes with partner institutions (e.g. via Erasmus+ exchange mobilities)
• Support to the initiation and the establishment of partnerships with universities/institutions in the region of Central Asia and / or further abroad to facilitate academic exchange
• Organizing and supporting academic events, conferences, round tables and other academic activities as moderator, discussant, reviewer, selector
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
• MA/PhD degree in Economics, Finance, Development Studies or a related field
• Record of teaching excellence and service
• Publications Record
• Excellent knowledge of English; Russian knowledge an advantage
• Experience in teaching in online format; familiarity with LMS Canvas, Zoom, an advantage
• Effective interpersonal and communication and networking skills
• Ability to cope with stress
• Willingness to travel abroad to support the admission process and to further exchange activities
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover:
• Monthly honorarium in the range of 1,500-1,800 EUR as gross salary paid in national currency. The exact amount of the remuneration depends on the qualification of the candidate and the requirements for tax and social fee deduction
• Visa and work permit support (fees for visa and work permit application to be borne by applicant)
• Office space and a computer, as well as access to all of the OSCE Academy’s facilities
NOTE: The Academy will not cover health insurance and expenses of the Lecturer and his/her family members and does not reimburse travel expenses except when travelling on official duty. It is likewise the Lecturer’s responsibility to observe all legal requirements that apply to traveling to Kyrgyzstan as well as to living and working in the country.
Interested applicants should submit the following documents:
• Cover letter, indicating the preferred choice of courses to be taught; presenting ideas for MA programme development, for initiating research projects and / or advancing academic exchange
• CV, including publication list, with two references
• Results of past student evaluations (if available)
• Draft syllabi for at least two of the courses mentioned above
The application package should be sent as one single file in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Full time Lecturer position” by 07 December 2022, 6.00 pm Bishkek time.
Only successfully selected candidates will be notified of further selection procedures.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, with consideration of regional and gender balance.