The OSCE Academy in Bishkek (OSCE Academy) is a public foundation, created in 2002 between the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes the principles and values of the OSCE through post-graduate education, advanced research, professional trainings and intellectual exchange. Its highly demanding MA programmes in the fields of “Economic Governance and Development” and “Politics and Security (Central Asia)” enrol a total of up to 60 young professionals on a competitive basis per year, from Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
The MA Programme in Human Rights and Sustainability (MAHRS) is a 2-years graduate MA Programme at the OSCE Academy, that started September 2023. It is a trans- and interdisciplinary MA Programme, bridging international law, political sciences, security policies, peace and conflict studies and humanities with a focus on the UN SDGs. MAHRS has an integrated internship and research period programme for students to join International Organizations, Think Tanks, and CSO/NGOs with a related focus in their work.
The senior lecturer position has managerial, supervising and teaching tasks, and will be based full time in Bishkek. The Lecturer will be initially hired for the period until 31 December 2024 with a possibility for continuation after mutual approval and the availability of funding. Further continuation of the collaboration is dependent upon both parties’ agreement and the Academy’s developments. The position is full-time and no secondary occupation is permitted without expressive approval of the Academy Administration.
Under the direct supervision of the Academy’s management, MAHRS academic supervisor, and in co-ordination with the Head of Educational Department, the senior lecturer contributes to the OSCE Academy’s MAHRS Programme and other activities such as research and academic exchange as member of the faculty.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Further developing of MA Programme related rules and regulations (in cooperation with the Head of the Educational Department);
- Developing and supervising student projects, Master Classes, Research endeavours and engagement with the Global Campus for Human Rights in Venice;
- Participating in the student admission process for the 2024-2026 Academic Year (developing entrance exams, tests, checking students works and participating during interviews);
- Participating in the selection of lecturers for teaching positions in the MA programmes;
- Participating in the further development of MA programme related quality control mechanism and corresponding evaluation tools (in cooperation with MAHRS academic supervisor and the Head of the Educational Department);
- Serving as a point of contact for faculty and student advisor;
- Representing the OSCE Academy in Global Campus Academic Council Affairs;
- Managing set up of the web-site for the MAHRS programme.
Teaching minimum 12 credits of graduate level courses to be chosen from the following lists during 2024-2025 academic year:
• international human rights law and regimes;
• good governance in Central Asia;
• sustainability SDGs
Contributing to Research and Academic Exchange at the OSCE Academy:
• Initiating and establishing partnerships with universities/institutions in the region of Central Asia and / or further abroad to facilitate academic exchange;
• Chairing the MAHRS Council of Central Asian institutions;
• Supporting academic events and activities as moderator, discussant, reviewer, selector, admission commission member;
• Mentoring students, alumni, and young scholars at the Academy and advising on career development as well as assisting in research project implementation;
• Initiating and organizing faculty and student exchange programmes with partner institutions (e.g. Global Campus in Venice, Italy and the GC Middle - Eastern Programme and Asia-Pacific Programme).
Candidates for this position should meet the following requirements:
• PhD degree in International Law or Political Sciences and Humanities with focus on Human Rights, International Relations, Governance, Sustainability or other related fields;
• Record of teaching excellence and service (evaluations of teaching classes);
• Record of peer-reviewed publications in international journals;
• Excellent knowledge of English (knowledge of Russian is an asset);
• Experience in teaching in online format; familiarity with LMS Canvas, Zoom, Webex;
• Effective interpersonal, communication and coordination skills;
• Willingness to travel to support the admission process and to further exchange activities.
The OSCE Academy will provide/cover:
• The salary range will be discussed upon the results of the interview;
• Visa and work permit support (fees for visa and work permit application to be borne by the applicant);
• Office space and a computer, as well as access to all of the OSCE Academy’s facilities.
NOTE: The Academy will not cover health insurance and expenses of the senior lecturer and his/her family members and does not reimburse travel expenses except when travelling on official duty.
Interested applicants should submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 January 2024, 6.00 pm Bishkek time. Application documents must be merged into one PDF file containing:
- Cover letter, indicating the courses to be taught; presenting ideas for MA Programme development, for initiating research projects and / or advancing academic exchange;
- CV, publication list, PhD certificate, two references (2021-2023);
- Results of past student evaluations.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified of further selection procedures.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is an equal-opportunity institution. It operates on the principle of non-discrimination. All recruitment decisions are taken on the basis of best qualification of the candidates, with consideration of regional and gender balance.