Master of Arts in Human Rights and Sustainability (MAHRS) is a new MA Programme in the field of “Human rights and Sustainability” that will enroll a total of up to 20-25 students on a highly competitive basis each year.
MAHRS is designed for young scholars and professionals aiming to study International Human Rights Law, Good Governance and Sustainability Principles, Norms and Standards with a focus on Central Asian Region.
We aim at students with a strong work ethic who wish to broaden their education in the areas of human rights, sustainability, political sciences, security studies, international relations, conflict prevention, international development studies and good governance. The programme is financed by the European Union (EU) and the OSCE Academy in Bishkek and implemented in cooperation with the Global Campus of Human Rights in Venice. The Global Campus, based in Venice, is the biggest academic network educating the next generation of professionals in the field of Human Rights. It consists of about 100 universities around the world and has regional headquarters in Argentina, Armenia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Lebanon, South Africa, and Thailand.
MAHRS is designed as a transdisciplinary MA programme, bridging international law, social sciences, and humanities. It will include internships for students in International Organizations, Think Tanks, and CSO/NGOs with a related focus in their work.
MAHRS will start in the Academic Year 2023/2024 on September 1, 2023 and operate within Central Asian countries and its partner universities and institutions in Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan as well as Afghanistan and Mongolia. These seven countries are core to the Academy’s educational outreach and research as stipulated in the Charter of the OSCE Academy. MAHRS is the first interdisciplinary Liberal Arts Programme for Human Rights in Central Asia, focusing on learning, applying, monitoring, and implementing human rights, good governance and sustainability principles and norms as stipulated by the UN Human Rights Regimes and the 2015 SDGs (Agenda 2030). It aims to train and empower young scholars and professionals and graduate students to work and be active in the spheres of public administration, CSOs, and IGOs.
The OSCE Academy in Bishkek is a public foundation, established in 2002 by the Kyrgyz Government and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). The OSCE Academy promotes the principles and values of the OSCE through post-graduate education, professional trainings, research and intellectual exchange.
The programme starts on 1 September 2023 (with introductory lectures taking place on September 4th and 5th) and ends on 28 February 2025. MA programme is organized as full-time studies and require from students to travel and live in Bishkek.
Applicants must meet the following admission criteria:
• Resident of the one of the Central Asian countries, Afghanistan and Mongolia or OSCE participating states
• Have a Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent qualification from a College or University in the field of social sciences, humanities, economics, law, language, sociology, international relations, political sciences or literature or other equivalent subjects. In case if applicant has not yet received diploma, they should provide documentation stating indicative date for receiving degree/ diploma from the institution and transcript of grades;
• Fluent in English
• Have Professional and/or research interest in human rights, sustainability and democratization in Central Asia
• Full tuition fee waiver
• Stipend of 450 euros per month (18 months)
• Round trip travel to Bishkek (economy class)
• Medical insurance (except for the citizens of Kyrgyzstan)
• Funded internship opportunities in Europe for top GPA students
TO APPLY PLEASE, COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM:
Master of Arts in Human Rights and Sustainability
The deadline is: 30 May 2023
If you seek further information please contact:
Master of Arts in Human Rights and Sustainability Programme: MAHRS@osce-academy.net
Only successful candidates will be contacted for further testing and interviews!