Dr. Damir Esenaliev
Course taught: Mixed Methods to Understand Human and Other Behavior
Dr Esenaliev is a development economist with expertise in quantitative microeconomic research, impact evaluations and panel survey methodology with professional experience in academic research, international development, and public service.
Dr Esenaliev works as Senior Researcher at the Leibniz Institute of Vegetable and Ornamental Crops and ISDC – International Security and Development Center in Berlin. He worked previously at the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), the German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin), the World Bank office in the Kyrgyz Republic, and the National (Central) Bank of the Kyrgyz Republic. His geographical expertise include Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, and Ukraine. He holds a PhD degree in Economics from Humboldt-University of Berlin (Germany), an MA degree in Development Economics from Williams College (USA), and University Diploma in Applied Mathematics from the Kyrgyz National State University.
His research interests include food security, rural development, social cohesion, SDG16, labor markets, poverty, horizonal inequality, and intergenerational mobility. He is the Academic Coordinator of the Life in Kyrgyzstan Study since 2013.
- Damir Esenaliev, Sindu Kebede, Wolfgang Stojetz, Isaiah Bagaboine & Tilman Brück (2020): Uganda: Data Gap Analysis for SDG 16, UNDP and UBOS Report.
- Kathryn Anderson & Damir Esenaliev (2019): Gender Earnings Inequality and Wage Policy: Teachers, Health Care and Social Workers in Central Asia, Journal of Comparative Economic Studies, 61, 551–575.
- Damir Esenaliev & Neil Ferguson (2019): The Impact of Job Quality on Wellbeing: Evidence from Kyrgyzstan, Social Indicators Research, 144(1), 337–378.
- Mandi Larsen, Damir Esenaliev, Tilman Brück & Klaus Boehnke (2020): The Connection Between Social Cohesion and Personality: A Multilevel Study in the Kyrgyz Republic, International Journal of Psychology, 55(1), 42–51.
- Damir Esenaliev & Kiyoshi Taniguchi (2019): Human Resources Development for Inclusive Growth; in Asian Development Bank: Kyrgyz Republic: Country Diagnostic Study.
- Francesca De Ceglie, Damir Esenaliev, Rachel Goldwyn & Suyoun Jan (2019): The World Food Programme’s Contribution to Improving the Prospects for Peace in Kyrgyzstan, SIPRI Working Paper.
- Damir Esenaliev, Aida Bolotbekova, Gulzhan Asylbek kyzy, Kanat Tilekeyev, Anastasia Aladysheva, Roman Mogilevskii & Tilman Brück (2018): Social Cohesion through.