The Master of Arts in Politics and Security Programme offers an interdisciplinary curriculum in areas of politics, comprehensive security and international relations based on international standards of teaching. The programme is designed for young people who wish to broaden their education and gain the knowledge and skills necessary for professional or academic careers in areas of politics, security, international relations, conflict prevention and international development.
Students have the opportunity to meet and to be taught by leading academics, experts, and representatives of international organizations. Because the programme meets international educational standards, it attracts many of the most talented and qualified graduate students throughout Central Asia.
The programme is licensed by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Kyrgyz Republic and accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance in Education "EdNet". The programme is supported by the OSCE Centre in Bishkek, interested OSCE participating and partner States, and other parties. The international partner institutions, the Board of Trustees and Advisory Council of the OSCE Academy provide assistance in elaborating curricular details, conducting classes, organizing internships, and carrying out other activities.
MA programme in Politics and Security accepts up to 30 graduate students each year. Students are carefully selected through a competitive recruitment process from all Central Asian countries (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Kazakhstan), Afghanistan and Mongolia. Applications from the OSCE participating States outside the region are considered in exceptional cases.
• Combine rigorous theoretical and practical training through multidisciplinary full-term courses and practice-oriented short modular courses;
• Provide students with contemporary approaches and tools to work in the fields of political science, international relations, security, democratization and human rights, sustainable development - both in general and as applied in the Central Asian context;
• Expand students' professional opportunities by improving their competencies necessary for their future careers;
• Introduce students to the professional world through the internship programme, use of practitioners as guest lecturers, and a network of professionals, Academy alumni, and current students;
• Familiarize students with the OSCE mission, principles, and activities within its three dimensions with a special focus on Central Asia;
• Establish a stimulating learning environment and provide close interaction between students, faculty and administration; and
• Encourage friendship and respect in a culturally, nationally, and ethnically diverse environment of the Academy.
• Since its first launch from 2004, the programme had graduated 324 allumni who have now been successfully continuing their professional and academic development in and outside the region.
Learning Outcomes of the Programme
Learning outcomes and competencies